Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Brach's Caramel Apple Royals





Place purchased: CVS 

Price: $3.00

Number of reviewers: 4




Appearance - 5.8


The Caramel Apple Royals have a caramel exterior with a bright green, apple flavored filling. The green color of the filling looks incredibly similar to green glow-in-the-dark paint (the filling doesn't actually glow in the dark, I checked). These Royals have a waxy paper wrapper, rather than the usual foil wrapper common for Brach's Royals. 

E: Wow, green center! 
E2: Green is too green, reminds me more of mint than apple. 

Flavor and Taste - 5.5


The green apple flavor dominates at first. Then the buttery caramel flavor builds as you chew, while the apple flavor subsides. It works. 

E: Probably the best apple/caramel flavor balance I've tried so far. Apple flavor is quite artificial tasting. 
E2: Caramel is barely noticeable, green apple flavor has a weird temporal profile. 
S: Caramel and apple, but they don't mesh well together. 

Texture - 6.3


The Caramel Apple Royals are soft and chewy. 

E: Very sticky and chewy. My jaws are getting a workout. 
E2: Slightly grainy and chewy, but not as sticky as I would hope for. Kind of a disappointing attempt at salt water taffy texture. 
S: Soft, chewy. 

Aftertaste - 5.8


The flavor of sweet, buttery caramel persists longer than the apple flavor. 

E: Sweet, artificial apple flavor lingers. Buttery. 

Overall - 5.6


Overall, I think these are a good caramel apple candy, though my fellow reviewers did not quite agree with me. While I think the Caramel Apple Royals are just an average candy ratings-wise, they are the best caramel apple candy I have tried this season. The caramel flavor is on point, the apple flavor is not overpowering, and the texture is pleasant. If you are to buy a caramel apple candy this fall, I would recommend this one. 

E2: Would not eat ever again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment